Saturday 11 February 2012

Blueboy/If Wishes Were Horses


And so we come to the album of the week. Blueboy existed in the late 80’s/early 90’s and their records mostly came out on Sarah Records. Sarah was a Bristol label that majored in C86/twee indie type stuff. And at the time the lot of ‘em annoyed me considerably. Mainly because of what I reckoned were their hugely unoriginal attempts at recreating early Aztec Camera records without a fraction of the talent.
But then I chanced upon this album, and I changed my opinion, and opened my mind a bit. And like this was when I was in my forties – crazy stuff.

Blueboy formed in Reading and were led by singer Keith Girdler and guitarist Paul Stewart, who wrote the songs ala a latter day Morrissey/Marr partnership (yes, that used to annoy me about them as well). After a couple of singles they released this, their debut album in 1992. I have to confess I have no real idea what the music press response was to it, or how successful it was sales-wise etc…or whether it was particularly influential. But when I heard it over 10 years late, I loved it to bits. And still do. In fact playing it this time round, I think I like it even more. In fact I think I will run away with it, to a desert island, and shit.

The lyrics are wistful, elegiac and yet have a sly humour poking through now and again. Paul Stewart’s guitar playing flits between gentle picking and tremolo’d major 7th and 6th chords to the chorus-pedalled thrashing at the end of closing track Amoroso. The perfect accompaniment to Girdler’s delicate voice, often backed by cellist Gemma Townlet’s airy vocals, reminiscent of Wendy Smith, but not really like the Sprouts at all. Honest.

Agghh – I am gonna have to play it again. It’s beautiful.


PS Keith Girdler sadly passed away in 2007. I need to find out more about him and his band.

No comments:

Post a Comment