Sunday 1 April 2012

Bill Nelson/Model Village

I have enjoyed Bill Nelson's music ever since I saw Be-Bop Deluxe on a late night ITV concert programme in the 70's. They were a rock band but with unique twists, as well as having some great pop melodies e.g. Ships In The Night. His "new wave" band Red Noise were good but something about that sudden change to fit in with the post-punk sound made me suspicious. Quite why I was suspicious I am not sure, as many other musicians similarly reinvented themselves around that time - Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Joe Strummer, The Stranglers for starters.

Post Red Noise I lost touch with him for a bit until I started picking up some of his solo albums in second hand and charity shops, mostly many years after they had been released. There seemed to be a lot of them. And they were never less than interesting.

Bill's current methods of working and interaction with the music industry are far better understood and documented via his excellent diary on his web site William's Study (Diary Of A Hyperdreamer), than anything I could possibly cut and paste together.

Anyway I decided I was long overdue a dip into Mr Nelson's music and the chance of grabbing his recent album Model Village seemed like a great idea. And indeed it was. It is completely instrumental and sounds like the soundtrack to a wonderful sunny Sunday morning (least it did earlier today). What I assume are predominantly synthetic sounds are embellished with acoustic pianos, plus woodwind instruments and birdsong combining together to make a most delightful noise.

I recommend you listen to Model Village whilst in a shockingly bad mood, overtired and niggly at the world in general. This, plus a cup of coffee, will sort you out.


1 comment:

  1. Definitely agree. I also have followed Mr Nelsons output since BBD and lost interest around 8-10 years ago when he was releasing a lot of work that I struggled to keep up with (finances were tight) and a couple of them seemed below standard. Then out of the blue one of my sons got me Model Village for Xmas (he had been looking at my CD collection -astute boy!)

    This release really impressed me and your description is very apt.I played it again today whilst driving through the country and despite it being dull and grey the pieces on this CD made it seem like anything but dull!

    ReplyDelete