Sunday 1 April 2012

Tindersticks/The Something Rain

Crikey this is good. I never really noticed Tindersticks back in the day, despite lots of people whose musical tendencies I tend to align with, liking them very much. So I came to this with zero preconceptions really, as I could barely remember what they used to sound like.

The first track, Chocolate, is very different to the rest of the album, being a 9 minute spoken story ala The Gift. I won't spoil the ending for you. It is very well done though both in terms of the build up and the "reveal"!

The rest of The Something Rain is best described as indie-soul I think. Hmmm no that sounds a bit crap. Singer Stuart Staples does have a very deep soulful voice though and when you add in some of the female backing vocals on a track such as This Fire Of Autumn, hopefully you can see what I mean. Whatever the hell it is I like it very much and if it weren't for the subject of the next post in this blog it would, on most other weeks, be album of the week I reckon.

Cute dog on band's website

No comments:

Post a Comment