Saturday 7 January 2012

The Fall - The Infotainment Scan

…did you enjoy that totally uncontrived link (albeit Dylan got in the way so nowhere near as smooth as it should have been)? OK, I have been a Fall fan since 1978. I have all their 29 regular studio albums. However there have been times when I have not kept up with them as close as other times, the early 90’s being one period; from which this album originates. Hence my reason for re-evaluating it as I couldn’t remember a huge amount about it. It turns out that it is, to use a technical term, a belter. MES is on top form berating bald headed men, Suede, and paranoid businessmen. Backed by a pretty classic line up in Scanlon, Hanley (S), Wolstencroft and Dave Bush on keys. It also contains a cover of Sister Sledge’s Lost In Music, which is brilliant. I know, it seems ridiculous, but grab a listen. My only criticism is that occasionally a hint of early 90’s period dance music influence tends to creep in; the odd Italo house piano riff etc that makes you think it could drift into Ride On Time or something…but thankfully it never does. I guess even The Fall get swayed by the musical trends of the time. Anyway it mostly kicks ass.


The Fall – The Infotainment Scan

1 comment: