Friday 13 January 2012

The Soft Machine/The Soft Machine

Ok this my kind of prog, if that’s what it is. See I don’t think it is “prog” in the Yes, Tull, ELP sense of the word. This is far closer to some of the great psych pop singles of early Syd-era Floyd and stuff on the Lenny Kaye curated Nuggets compilation. But with longer solos. And weird English singing. It really is very strange but very, very good. At times it reminds me of early Can as well. What’s not to like? I have the Softs albums from 2 through 7 and like them all really. Although they changed a heck of a lot on the way ending up as a real jazz rock fusion band. Oddly though I had never heard this, their 1968 debut, the only album to feature Daevid Allen and Kevin Ayers. What a miss. Album of the week! (CD issue also features both sides of the delightful pre-album single Love Makes Sweet Music, classic 60s pop!)


The Soft Machine – The Soft Machine

No comments:

Post a Comment