Friday 13 January 2012

John Martyn/The Church With One Bell

Hmmm, sadly not a great choice. I chose it as I heard a track or two a few years ago and was suitably intrigued but never got round to listening to it properly. It is an album of cover versions, mainly in a bluesy style but with a wide range of source material from Portishead to Billie Holiday.
The problem is that the backing band are pretty dull. Mr Martyn throws himself into the performances, but there is something about the production and playing that just makes it all fade into the background after a couple of songs. And that is something you don’t want to find yourself saying with regard to a John Martyn album. But there we go – I said it.


John Martyn – The Church With One Bell 

1 comment:

  1. I lost my way with John after Grace and Danger, and didn't hear anything else new till this and Glasgow Walker. I really wanted to like this because of Glory Box, but I just... didn't.

    ReplyDelete